Thursday, January 8, 2009

a brace update

So I have talked to the orthotist at the place that makes Karston's brace. We are going in for an appointment on the 15th of January, that is next Thursday. This appointment is just for making a mold of his leg/foot and then we go back to pick up the brace a week or two later. When I spoke to them to make this appointment I suggested (per Heath's idea) that this time they make two braces so that when he does brake one it is not such an emergency to get back in to see them again. They seem to think that was a good idea, we just have to make sure that the doctor is ok with it and that insurance will cover two at the same time.

That is our biggest irritation with the Spina Bifida clinic, that nothing can actually be done until it goes through everyone first. Karston has three doctors, the brace people, physical therapist, and occasionally other specialist that we see when we go to the clinic. Thank goodness this trip will only be seeing the brace people and getting permissions from the Orthotics doctor. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

When I told Karston that I made the appointment to get his brace, he was dissapointed. He told me that he liked not having to run in gym class, ha ha ha. That is so funny that he doesn't mind being different if it gets him out of what he doesn't want to do. That's a typical 9 year old for ya.

No comments: