I don't know if I have ever mentioned before that Karston has limited feeling in his right leg. One night Karston sat on the floor and played a game with his brother. After a while he thought his leg felt different and turned to look at it. That was when he notice a burn spot on his leg. He had been sitting with his leg up against the radiator and it had caused a small burn. Thank goodness he noticed it before it got any worse. We were able to treat it with a minor burn ointment and he was better within a day or two.
Yesterday Karston and his brother were out playing in the snow at a neighbor's house. When he came home (10 -15 min after his brother) he was crying because he had gotten snow down in his boot and his socks were wet. I told him to immediatley get his boots and socks off so that they could warm up. I had to help him with his right boot because his foot and ankle had swelled a bit in his boot. When I finally got the boot off (with much screaming from Karston) I noticed that his foot and ankle were bright red and I was worried. I gave him some warm socks and told him to stay off of his foot until it thawed out a bit.
When his dad got home we quickly did a swap (he got the kids, I got the car.) I totally forgot to mention Karston's leg, so there was not much more done for him. When I got home Karston was in bed and I had totally forgotten about the circumstances. Then today he went to school and when one of the teachers saw his leg they sent him to the nurse. When he got home he told me that the nurse told him that he had some frost bite on his leg. My immediate thought was that the nurse or Karston had over reacted and it wasn't that bad. I looked at his leg and saw what the nurse had seen earlier in the day. He had several places that looked like 1st or 2nd degree burns and they ooze coming out of them. His first layer of skin was peeling off and it did look bad. I immediatley found my ointment and put on the burns. Later in the evening he was showing his wounds to his grandparents and I got another look at them. They were no longer oozing, but still looked bad. We now have more ointment on them and his leg is wrapped in gauze.
Tomorrow, (well, technically later today) we go to the Spina Bifida clinic to get his leg measured for his brace. I will talk to them then about ways to prevent this from happening in the future. I will also try and post another blog tomorrow to let you know all about our visit with the Orthotist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This Poor boy, I'm sorry for the obstacles he will encounter through life. I my self have M.S. I can relate somewhat.
The question, I have for you is how do you feel, how are you dealing with this set back?
I must say you have a wonderful son. He has quite a bit of obstacles to over come and really hope that this blog is not one. Think if his peers where to read his life story? It may be good or it may be bad.
Post a Comment